Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Miracle fair

In a move to greedily celebrate the newfound splendors of spring, my friends and I took their kids to the park this afternoon. It’s a large stretch of land, equipped with swings and slides and wrapped around by a golf course. Within the park there is a small wood, its trees still bare and sparse, and a bike path which, if you walk down it a little, brings you to a bridge running over a stream plump with winter’s melted water. The kids, for so long cooped up inside the house, love the place. They run and bike and fall and scatter, abandoning themselves to the forgotten pleasures of having a space big enough to contain their energy.

I walk over to a bench and sit down to read. It is late afternoon and the sun is slowly dipping into the horizon. All winter I have imagined a scene like this, the sheer luxury of going to the park and reading, but the book I brought with me lies unopened by my side. I just sit and admire the weather. Not quite used to spring, or perhaps not having the words to describe it, I can’t explain exactly how beautiful it is. It is enough just to be sitting here, watching the children scooch down the long chutes of the slides as their mother stands on the other side, waiting lavishly with nectarines. After winter’s constrictions, the utter beauty of spring has taken me by surprise, disabling all need for the talk and elaboration that animated/imitated life in the previous weather. Now, it is enough just to sit here and watch the swings as they travel to and fro between the sky.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree entirely :D there is just such sweetness in the air like the earth coming back to life. One of the prettiest sights you must see is a cherry blossom tree...a treee which is all pink flowers sigh its surreal. You do not do pictures? Would be lovely to see all this after you describe it as well not that the visual is not perfect enough.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. what was the book? Feel intellectually deprived any suggestions?

8:27 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Anonymous: Thanks. I think I saw some cherry blossoms in a movie once. They were, as you say, surreal.

I was reading A Small Good Thing It's about children with HIV and the way their lives unfold. Good book.

9:19 PM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

Faiz ki nazam "Bahar aai"...yaad aa gai.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just about to ask which book you were reading too :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

mystic-soul: if someone had told me it would be this gorgeous back in december i wouldn't have believed them. and yet here i am being surprised every day.


bushra: A Small Good Thing by Anne Hunsaker Hawkins.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter