Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dudh malai, kukkar shukkar, ghar ghar burger shurger OYE!

Today is the first official day of winter. As if on cue, there is a snowstorm raging outside. The evergreens are shaking, snow whirls up into thick flurries and the ground is calf-deep in white. I wanted to drive over to the mall to watch Slumdog Millionaire but inclement weather discourages the plan. Instead, I stay at home and try to write. This is how far I get.

----

It's been a busy couple of months. I learnt how to drive, got a car, got a house. To furnish that house, I got in the car and scoured the land for furniture to fill the empty space. On one or two occasions (more, if you're not a family member reading this blog) I almost got myself killed due to inept driving. But that's all in the past. I am now sitting in the house with the new furniture watching snow fall on the car. Or almost the car, as the carport protects it from the ravages of the storm. I drove into the carport last week.

----

When people ask me what's new, I usually have very little to tell them. My days, and every fourth night, are usually spent at work. Whenever I'm home, I'm usually asleep or watching TV. I didn't imagine it would be like this. When I was younger I had resolved never to buy a TV because it epitomised the death of the imagination. Instead, I would live in a house filled with books and cosy yellow light. The floors would be decorated with warm rugs, art would hang off the walls and the whole atmosphere would be incandescent with an aura of intellect. This would be my life, a lambent expression of the state of my soul.

Last night I spent two hours on the couch watching a Cosby Show Marathon.

13 Comments:

Blogger Zee said...

:) Yes, being a grownup isn't quite what any of us expect. But then, the nice thing about it is if we choose to say screw it all, and make it into something a little closer to that yellow-light, book-filled (or in my case, trampolined and gum-ball machine-filled) world, we can. And should.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is it with this self-destructive nature that we all seem to have?

whether it's 'inept driving' or 'watching TV'. 'tis a shame at times.

i think i spend most of my time sleeping or watching tv now as well. though i never dreamt of auras of intellectualness.

it's odd because those are two hours that could have been spent doing something else. but they weren't. it's almost like surrendering to something beyond your control. and yet it is in your control, but you just can't be bothered.

are you sure doctor, that there is no pill for this? =P

also, if you can get your hands on it, please watch Firefly. (i should have given it to you when you were here).

also please drive safe, and don't mind me posting comments as if this was my own blog.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the title of this post made me smile a huge smile.

as owl and adnan have said above, i found myself doing the same thing this semester: lots and lots of sleeping and watching /mindless/ tv. but vat to do when the daily work saps you of curiosity, motivation, and all things cool. and yet the constant reminder "i should be doing more" remains.

anyways, please, drive safely.

(adnan - i'm well aware i've still got your copy of firefly. it's sitting in windsor, unfortunately...and i admit i haven't begun watching it yet.)

1:59 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Owl: yes, we should. i bought a book today.

Adnan: you're welcome to post as much as you want. sadly, there is no pill for laziness. but the good thing is that hard work is habit-forming. so the more you do, the easier it gets. i find that when i'm in a studying routine, it's almost effortless to go back. on the other hand, when i've slacked off for a while, going back is painfully hard. so it makes sense to be regular.

flickering butterflies: the title of the post is actually a lyric from the title song of "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!"

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@iffat - take your time, i'm in no hurry.

@aamir - "hard work is habit-forming" that's good news? *raise eyebrow*

also, i still contend that 'oye lucky, lucky oye' is as good as 'khosla ka ghosla', they're just very different movies.

i want to see more from abhay deol, and dibakar banerjee.

10:51 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

adnan: it's good news because the further i go the more durable i find consistent effort to be. it used to be easy to be clever and improvise on the spot. not any more. now i find it's the hard work that pays off.

and i agree with you. i look forward to more intelligent cinema from both abhay deol and dibakar bannerjee.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

Also, I bought myself a jellybean dispenser. Not quite a gumball machine, but close enough. :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger bsc said...

I first saw your "remember" which made me feel close to you even though you are in the early years of your career and I am already retired, but I am intrigued, you write so much what I would like to do. Yes I have similar things about TV as I watch more now than ever.
Coming back to remember: I wrote a note but it did not take so I re-entered today and writing again basically what I said
karrvakarela you are sweet.
So count me in your "fans"

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, please also count me as a fan.

7:32 PM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

I remember my 3 years of residency and 2 years of fellowship...

I think, thats our recoup time. It sounds waste of time but they are necesssary....

10:41 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Owl: a jelly bean dispenser sounds good.

bsc sahab: thank you very much. it's so kind of you.

adnan: (see above.)

mystic soul: yes, i know what you're saying. it's important to unwind and recoup.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sujatha Bagal said...

Cosby is chicken soup for the soul. So you're forgiven. The books and the soft yellow light and the warm rugs will come KK. In the meanwhile, it's good to get this experience under your belt so you'll never want to have it again. :)

4:36 AM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Sujatha: Thanks!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter