Monday, January 24, 2011

This Morning In A Morning Voice

to beat the froggiest
of morning voices,
my son gets out of bed
and takes a lumpish song
along—a little lyric
learned in kindergarten,
something about a
boat. He’s found it in
the bog of his throat
before his feet have hit
the ground, follows
its wonky melody down
the hall and into the loo
as if it were the most
natural thing for a little
boy to do, and lets it
loose awhile in there
to a tinkling sound while
I lie still in bed, alive
like I’ve never been, in
love again with life,
afraid they’ll find me
drowned here, drowned
in more than my fair
share of joy.

- Tod Boss

4 Comments:

Blogger Zee said...

I love your taste in poems. Where do you find them?

9:34 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Glad you enjoyed reading it. I think this one was from Poetry magazine.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

It didn't occur to me there were such magazines. :)

The poem reminds me of the little boy I shared a PRT (pod car thingie) with the other day. He was about 3, and this fidgety and enthusiastic chubby little ball of energy. He was just so utterly tickled to be on the PRT, talking about how fast it was going, how big it was and how you didn't need to wear safety belts inside cuz it drives itself and its smart and wouldn't crash. I had been looking out the window, laughing to myself, when I heard him add "Isn't this amazing aunty!" There were only three of us onboard - me, him and his mom - so I was suddenly and happily aunty to this adorable little Chinese kid. :D "Yeah, I forget how cool these things are." "Me too! This is my favorite automatic car!"

Turns out his dad is one of the professors at the uni and his rides to the campus are the highlight of his day. He was the highlight of mine.

2:52 AM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Yeah, kids are amazing. Masha-Allah, they bring so much joy to our lives.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter