Friday, April 15, 2005

Reach Out and Touch No One

An interesting article about people who pretend to talk to their cellphones.

How many? It is hard to say. But James E. Katz, a professor of communication at Rutgers University, says his classroom research suggests that plenty of the people talking on the phone around you are really faking it. In one survey Dr. Katz conducted, more than a quarter of his students said they made fake calls. He found the number hard to believe. Then in another class 27 of 29 students said they did it.

"People are turning the technology on its head," Dr. Katz said. "They are taking a device that was designed to talk to people who are far away and using it to communicate with people who are directly around them."

3 Comments:

Blogger baj said...

i actually do the opposite! i use the cellphone as a device to AVOID talking or listening to others. when i'm walking down a street teeming with unsavory youths who have unsavory things to say to me, i pretend to talk on my cell and they TOTALLY leave me alone b/c who wants to look pathetic and try to get some chick's attention while she's obviously in the middle of a conversation and won't "give you any lift"? works every time.

6:41 AM  
Blogger baj said...

ah, maybe if i read the article first before i commented i'd realize they already discussed that scenario. hee! ummmm... shhh! i'm on the cell phone!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Abez said...

You know, I can honestly say I've never done that. I'm one of those people who keep my phone so well-buried in my purse that I can hardly find it when it (rarely) goes off. And plus, since it was stylish about... five years ago, it has no reason to be flashed about for such things as fake conversations. If I want people to leave me alone I'll just take to talking to myself. It's much weirder, trust me... :p

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter