Sunday, September 17, 2006

Akeelah and the Bee

Saw Akeelah and the Bee this morning. It's a wonderful film. Keke Palmer is superb and the supporting cast do a good job, although I wish Laurence Fishburne would stop doing his deep, insightful non-actor thing and start acting for a change. It's interesting how, ever since the superlative Spellbound, there's been a spate (actually, two) of spelling-bee films. I haven't seen Bee Season but this film pays a cheeky tribute to the classic in the climax. Who would have thought such a homely subject would become a Hollywood theme. Today Spelling Bees, tomorrow the SATs?

Watch it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, This is off topic. I haven't seen the film. I found you through Flea's blog and I've been reading a few of the archived posts. I liked the one on the India-Pakistan Cricket game. I'll add you to my blogroll immediately after this.

Vijay.

PS. I'm curious about the meaning of your blog name? I know that 'karela' in Hindi and Urdu is Bitter gourd. But what is 'karrva?'

8:12 AM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you enjoyed reading here.

Yes, you're right. Karela is bitter gourd and karrva means bitter. Karrvakarela is a colloquial expression in Hindi/Urdu used for someone who is a grump or a curmudgeon.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KK
You're tagged :)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter