Friday, November 23, 2007

Humility and Gratitude

My father had a heart attack yesterday. He was playing cricket when the chest pains started and by the time he had walked out of the ground, they were suffocating him. We rushed him to the hospital where they did they gave him the necessary treatment, did the bloodwork, the EKG and then transferred him to another hospital for a rescue angiography. He is doing well now, resting in the ICU, while I've snuck home for a change of clothes.

Those are the basic details. They don't include the panic, the frustration, the helplessness and the sheer rage at the inadequacies of health professionals. They also don't include the terror that rips through you as you watch your father collapse and almost die. I've learnt, or relearnt, many lessons over the past few hours, things that I thought I knew by dint of being a physician but was really ignorant of until they happened to me. Humility and gratitude. I don't express it enough.

Be grateful for your parents. Be humble. That's my advice to myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger yasmine said...

I'm so glad your father's okay, alhamdulillah. May his recovery be full and smooth and speedy, inshaAllah.

My sister and her friend have a mantra, Sabr and shukr. Your post reminded me of that, with the humility thrown in as well. Thank you for the reminder.

I've been thinking of my parents and their age a lot these days, and sometimes it brings me nearly to tears - and panic - to realize that someday they will be gone. I'm not sure how I would get through each day without knowing they're there, somewhere. Even though I like to think of myself as independent and self-sufficient, I'd probably have the same reaction to losing my parents whether I were 6 or 26, and it does humble me to realize that. It's just that I don't remember it often enough.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us this reminder even during what must be a particularly stressful and worrisome time for you. May all be well with you and yours, inshaAllah.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Anjum said...

oh, I am so so sorry. I have experienced the terror, helplessness, and frustration that you have, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Glad your father is doing better, alhamdulillah, and he will inshallah continue improving and strengthening.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Anjum said...

PS - keep writing, for us or for yourself... please don't withdraw, whch is so easy to do. *hug*

5:03 PM  
Blogger brimful said...

So sorry to read your post, but also grateful that your father is okay. It's also a great blessing that you are close enough (geographically) to be with him.

6:23 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Yasmine, Anjum, Brimful: thank you for writing in. It's very kind of you.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter