Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mother

It's almost 5 am and I'm on call finishing off the last of the night's admissions. It's been a light night and I've had a chance to catch some sleep so I'm awake now. As I walk by one of the rooms I notice the sound of the shower running. The child is sleeping comfortably but the mother's cot is empty. Maybe she's having troubling sleeping, I think to myself. I was in the child's room at midnight when he tripped over his pyjamas and bumped his head. Mom was up then, fretting over him, simultaneously trying to console him and make him finish his homework at the same time. "I don't want him to be missing no school," she told me.

A few minutes later, I happen to walk into the room to see the child in the next bed and Mom is putting on a jacket and gathering her things. She leans over the child and kisses him. "Ok, Zach, Mommy's gotta go to work now. You be a good boy. Mommy loves you." The boy mumbles something back. She strokes his hair.

The sky is still dark outside. It won't be dawn for a few more hours. The mother wraps a scarf around herself and leaves for work.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sujatha Bagal said...

Life. And it goes on no matter what. :(

5:50 AM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

mother..hmmm..God's face on earth.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which class does this mother belong? God's face on earth is a bull shit. Mothers are not free from society.

9:17 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Sujatha: it does but what's remarkable is how people adapt.

Communist: i think what mystic-soul was trying to say is that motherhood is a sign of Divine Mercy and not divinity in itself. Parents are human beings and, as you mentioned, subject to the same societal forces as anyone else.

However, inappropriate language is not acceptable on the blog. I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from using it.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a predominantly patriarchal society that we live in, motherhood is also a sign of tyranny, a sexual assault on women. If we are to remain a mute spectator and keep idealizing the image (or sign) of a mother then are we not participating/defending (in) the hegemonic discourse? Come to a government maternity hospital in a developing or a backward country and witness the plight of women! They are made as a machine of reproduction and forced to up bring a baby. While this the case in the lower rungs of the society, the elite make the women accept/internalize the patriarchal ideology. I apologize the mystic soul if the language I used is hurting. However the hurt is unintended.

6:06 PM  
Blogger workhard said...

Mothers rule!!!!!!!


Write poetry

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter