Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Baby Mine

Sometimes, when you least expect it, things have a way of surprising you.

Last night I dreamt I had become a father. A pair of twins, named Amina and Wafa, had been bequeathed me and I was their dad. They were fat and gurgling and when they laughed it made my heart ripple. I called my dad to share the good news and we were both incredulous. I couldn't explain their provenance. There was no wife in this dream. (Maybe they came from eggs.) But there they were, a pair of chunky babies with roses in their cheeks, emanating a pure luminous joy. I carried the feeling around with me all day. It's strange but I've never really considered myself dad material before. Yes, I love children and I'm excited about spending my career taking care of them. But to be a father? I don't think I have the necessary wisdom yet to raise a child. And yet, when I walked into a room this afternoon and saw a baby girl with chubby cheeks, swaddled in that milk-soft smell, I couldn't say it wasn't Amina. Or Wafa.

But it wasn't.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kya baat hai yaar, ek nahi, do do bacche? khwab ho to aisa!

I don't think I have the necessary wisdom yet to raise a child.

i don't think anyone really does. but you'll do fine, inshallah.

you'll have to wing it. =P

6:13 PM  
Blogger Banno said...

The day after you see a lovely dream is so special, isn't it? Feeling happy for no real reason.

Career in taking care of kids. Are you a pediatrician?

11:17 PM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

adnan: double munaafa . . . .


Banno: i'm training to be a pediatrician. so yes, insha-Allah, almost. thank you for dropping by.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wouldn't have dreamt hadn't you thought of a father in you! However the dream text is not without distortion, as Freud once put it. The distortion here is dreaming a baby without wife, baby coming out of egg. Your sleep let the father in you loose which otherwise would have been suppressed with societal pressure! Kudos to father and baby! Good bye to Freud.

10:44 AM  
Blogger mystic-soul said...

To phir.....shadi ka bhi khayal aaya hoga?(bulke is umar main to aksar aata hai)..to uspe bhi kuch likha jaaye

10:28 PM  
Blogger bsc said...

Yeah! what about shadi!!!
You might like to see my blog of 13th sept. 2008 I was not paediatrician but had some ten beds in a small hospital where I met this young lady who called me daddy
I am "saugoree"
There is a panjabi saying
"nalay chopRian nalay do do" (chupRi huyi bhi aur do do bhi)
Means that two rotis and also they have ghee or makkhan on them.
There is a hadeeth of the prophet SAWS saying those who have two daughters they will be in Jannat if the Muslim raises them teaches them, feeds them etc. (I am not quoting exact saying but the gist of it) May Allah bless you with Amina and Wafa. BTW these are beautiful names. Amina was my youngest sister's name.
The happy day commented by someone else is an important part of such dreams.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Zee said...

As to the dream - can't imagine what that's like.

As to the comments and questions - you have my sympathies. ;)

2:01 AM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

Communist: thank you

mystic-soul: uss mauzoo pe mera zyaati (aur khyaali) tajurba naakafi rahay ga. muaazrat chahta hun.

bsc: thank you for sharing that. the funny thing was i didn't even know what wafaa meant until i asked someone the next day. they are, indeed, beautiful names.

owl: thank you

3:17 AM  
Blogger workhard said...

Hi,that is very well written. No one needs necessary wisdom, once the magic happen things begin to fall in its place and thats the beauty of parenthood. You dont need any books for that.


Haiku Poems

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter