Friday, June 22, 2007

Random

I'm in Lahore these days, spending some time with my grandparents. It's been a while since I was last here and almost nothing seems to have changed. The streets are swimming with mangoes, the walls with geckoes. The heat is exactly as I remember it, precise and severe, hanging in thick swathes of humidity. Two days into my arrival and friends started coming in with gifts of food. A neighbour sent over my favorite sandwiches. A pair of cousins dropped by with an ice-cream cake. Going for a drive in the evening reveals familiar scenes, an entropy of mules and buses, beggars and rickshaws and the still night air embroidered by friable Punjabi tempers. Lahore lahore hai.

3 Comments:

Blogger mystic-soul said...

lucky you !

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love little geckoes. They are the cutest little things.

And I miss the mango trees we had in Florida. It was so neat to walk into the backyard and pick our own fruit. I don't miss Florida, though. Well, I miss the old Florida, the way it used to be before it became a megapolis.

9:50 AM  
Blogger karrvakarela said...

mystic-soul: thank you.

bruce small: I don't mind the geckoes either. They're harmless and they eat bugs. Or so I'm told.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter